This quarantine must be getting on your nerves, right? Yeah, we get that! But hey, you do not have to stay alone even if you are self-isolating yourself. You can make a group call or two and have fun talking to your friends. And isn’t this the right time to do so? Like all of your friends must be relaxing in their homes as well, and there is very little chance that they might be busy.
If you have a MacBook or an iPhone, pick it up and start face-timing your loved ones. You have heard about face-time, haven’t you?
Well, even if you haven’t, do not worry, we have got you covered!
FaceTime is Apple’s built-in audio and video calling application, just like any other audio/video calling mobile app. Apple’s FaceTime has proved to be one essential application in connecting users with each other, no matter wherever they are in this world. Considering the fact that everyone is practising social distancing nowadays, Face-Timing your friends and family might help you to feel a little less lonely and bridge the gap between you and your loved ones.
Basics of FaceTime
While using Facetime, you are allowed to have up to thirty-two users, with you, on-call. So it is a good option to choose when talking with a large group of your friends at the same time. As long as all of your friends have the Apple devices, you do not need any other audio and video calling application to chat.
FaceTime cannot be installed on an Android device or Windows, and it is not available for all carriers and countries.
However, Facetime can be used if your friends have different Apple devices. For example, you are using a MacBook, and others are using their phones.
Important Things To Remember
In order to use FaceTime, you must have iOS 12.1.4 or later versions on your iPod touch (7th generation), or iPhone 6S. If you are using an iPad, make sure you have iPad Pro, iPad (5th generation), iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4, or any recent model of any of these devices, running iPadOS.
So, if you have a device that allows you to FaceTime and a bunch of dear friends, why keep waiting? Start FaceTiming now. But if you are new to the club, let us help you to figure out ‘how.’
FaceTime And Group FaceTime for Mac?
Connecting with your loved ones through mobile devices, when you or they are away from home or talking to a long lost friend after years, is a tempting idea. Even if you are working from home, which is what most of us are doing now, it gets easier to connect with your colleagues and team through group FaceTime audio and video calls.
Here we have a complete guide of Facetime Group Video Call for you to know how to get started!
The Process of Setting Up FaceTime on Mac
FaceTime application is a built-in app, so you do not have to install it separately from the app store. Plus, the process of setting up is quite easy and straightforward.
- Open the app by tapping on the app’s icon on your screen or press ⌘ + space and start typing FaceTime to search the app if you cannot find it.
- If FaceTime is not already turned on, make sure to turn it on.
- Use your Apple ID and password to log in.
In order to determine who can and cannot reach you through FaceTime:
- Go to FaceTime and open preferences. This is where you can decide if you would like all the email addresses that are tied to your Apple ID to be used for Face-Time. For instance, if you do not work people from work (who have your work ID) to reach you through FaceTime, you can restrict them by removing that ID from your selection.
- Deselect those email addresses that you do not want to be used for reaching you through FaceTime.
- If you need to add a new email address to your list, open system preferences, go to iCloud, open Account Details, select Contacts, and tap the plus icon. These changes will appear in your FaceTime preferences automatically.
Benefits of FaceTime Video Calls
Most of the Mac devices are designed to support FaceTime calls. There are still some requirements in order to make a video call on this app. These requirements include:
- You need a strong internet connection with an upload and download speed of at least 128 kbps.
- A connected or built-in camera (iMacs and MacBooks have built-in cameras, but for Mac Pro and Mac Mini, you need to purchase a camera separately)
- You must also have a microphone. Most Macs have built-in microphones, but if you want, you can also plug in a headset having a mic for better communication.
- You require an Apple ID for logging in on FaceTime.
The process to Make a FaceTime Call
As long as you and your friends have a good and steady internet connection, are logged into FaceTime using Apple ID, and have the open, it is very easy and effortless to use FaceTime on Mac.
- Open your Contacts app.
- Search for the friend whom you want to call. You can search by name, number, or email ID.
- Click on the contact once you have found it and tap on the FaceTime option (a video camera icon) for starting your call.
Using FaceTime to Stay Connected With The World
When your FaceTime app is open, and you are logged in, a call will appear like:
- A pop-up window will appear on your screen. If your FaceTime app is closed, you will receive a notification appearing at the top-right corner of your screen.
- The notification will let you know who is calling.
- If you have the caller’s contact details in your Contacts app, you can click accept.
- When you are done talking, you can tap the red handset icon.
Group Call Feature of FaceTime
Group FaceTime allows you to talk to a large number of people at the same time, be it your friends, family, or co-workers. The FaceTime application enables you to add thirty-two participants in one video call.
Steps to make Group Call on FaceTime
For making a facetime group video call on Mac:
- You will need to open the FaceTime app.
- Input the contact details (name, email address, or phone number) of all the participants that you would like to add on your group video call. Make sure you insert a comma after each person’s details, or you can also select each contact individually from your Contacts app.
- Once you have started your call and you want to add more people, click on the lower-left corner of your active Facetime group video call for a sidebar to appear. From there, you can add another participant by entering their contact information.
Block Option on FaceTime
If you want to block a certain caller, FaceTime allows you to block them instantly:
- Open FaceTime app.
- Log in with your Apple ID.
- Search for the person whom you want to block.
- Right-click on the caller’s number.
- Choose ‘Block This Caller.’
The Sign Out Option on FaceTime
If you do not want to receive FaceTime calls on your Mac. You can simply sign out of the application.
- Open FaceTime app.
- Go to the menu bar.
- Open preferences.
- Click on ‘Sign Out.’
If you want to start receiving and making calls again from your Mac, just sign back in.
Sometimes, you might feel the need to minimize as much distraction as you can while you are working on your Mac. When this is the case, try Focus.
Focus is an app that blocks all disturbances temporarily for a decided period. (You can decide for how long you do not want to be disturbed). It enables you to maintain a productivity schedule through its ‘work and relax’ built-in times by blocking unnecessary disturbances that might distract you from your work.
What to do when FaceTime for Mac is not working?
If you experience a glitch when using FaceTime, make sure that you have entered a valid Apple ID. If your ID is valid, check if you and the caller have the right contact details (numbers, email). Also, ensure that you have selected all the checkboxes available next to phone numbers, and email addresses in the Preferences of the FaceTime app.
During these times of crisis, group FaceTime video calls are allowing you to engage and stay in touch with your friends, family, and colleagues. This way, you will not miss anything important, even if it is a business meeting or a random friends’ chat.
We hope that you got what you were looking for from this article. FaceTime is currently the most popular app to stay connected to the world during the quarantine. We hope that you will make the best use of it.
Author Bio: Amaia Ayaan is a professional Digital Marketer & lead generate Specialist at Mobile app development agency. She is passionate about all the latest trends in digital media & marketing and loves to try out new things in life. Her creativity and unique approach reflect her ability to take digital marketing in an all-new direction.