What is Facetime?
FaceTime is one of the most astonishing services for video chatting, messaging, and holding meetings with anyone who uses iOS devices. Yes, FaceTime is an app that developed especially for Apple users so you will fail to find the software either on Google Play or Windows store.
Check for: Facetime group video call
The increasing demands on video calling applications make the corporate competitors create alternative services for PC users. As such, Zoom, Skype, Google Duo, Viber, Hangouts were released as substitutes to FaceTime. But many users adhere to the app made by Apple and don’t want to accept any FaceTime replacements for their PCs. No wonder! There are a lot of reasons why people love the application:
Why peoples love Facetime App (Facetime Advantages):
- It is free
- It offers a fantastic high quality of video/audio
- User-friendly interface
- It is lightweight
- Low data consumption
- Encrypted HD video calls
- It is uncrackable by any government and non-government organizations.
In fact, almost 60% of Americans use Face Time as a default messaging application, while WhatsApp has a market share of 27% in the US.
Even though FaceTime application is not available outside the Apple ecosystem, it is still possible to download and use it on Windows PCs. However, standard methods are not applicable here. We’ll need to get creative and make use of some tricks to benefit from FaceTime almost the same as Apple users do.
can i get facetime on my pc?, let’s dive right in
How do I Install Facetime on My Windows Computer
You can install FaceTime for computer using an iOS simulator
For a long time, it has been considered impossible to download and install FaceTime if you are not an owner of an Apple device. But there is a piece of good news: this application can be used in operating systems such as Windows 7, 8, 10 with the help of a few modifications, and some third-party tools.
Ipadian Simulator (Ipadian Facetime)
We are talking about an ipadian simulator, a software that mimics Apple-like experience and gives you an impression of using the iOS-based device while you are still on your Windows PC. Ipadian is not able to create a local version of the iOS on top of your device neither it can open you access to the App Store. However, ipadian simulates the basic features, design, and appearance of an Apple device. But the most important thing about the emulator is the ability to execute iOS files in Windows.
Note that ipadian is not the only iOS emulator for Windows PCs. There are lots of other ones available on the market. The most popular tools are,
Almost all of them are free of charge.
However, not every PC is compatible with iOS emulators. In order to download the app, you need to make sure that your device itself, as well as its system, satisfies some requirements to allow your PC to run the FaceTime apk file. Take a look at the below-mentioned specifications:
- Windows 7,8, XP, or Vista
- A single-core 1 GHz CPU
- Minimum of 2 GB of RAM
- A decent Internet connection with at least 512 kbps to have a smooth conversation
- .NET Framework and the latest version of Adobe Flash Player in order to ensure security
- A webcam and microphone connected are a must.
Warning: If you are using an old processor and lesser RAM, the emulator can make your PC really slow.
How To Install an iOS Emulator
- The installation process of an iOS emulator is no different from the installation of any other software. Just download the emulator of your choice, open the .exe file once the process is completed, and follow the instruction on the screen. After the installation is ended, restart the app.
- Once you install an emulator, you’ll get access to a customized apps store from where you can download FaceTime for your computer. Of course, the “fake” store provided by an emulator significantly different from the real iOS app store. Its biggest flaw is the limited number of apps and games.
- Even though compared to the original store, ipadian’s one looks poor, there you can find the FaceTime app for PC to download.
How to Use FaceTime for PCs?
- In order to use FaceTime downloaded from the ipadian’s store, you need to create your Apple account first. Then type your credentials and login to the application. Voila! Now you can enter the app and enjoy the truly iOS experience.
- You can use FaceTime for Windows and Android devices to make calls. However, the contacts who use the software from Apple devices won’t be on your contact list (by contrast with the origin app). In order to add them, you will need to type their names, phone numbers, and emails manually.
- Besides, some origin FaceTime features are available on your PC: a Picture-in-Picture mode, both sides camera, superb quality calls, and best UX-interface. However, FaceTime for PC is not a full-fledged substitute to the origin application. It is massive and some features are still lacking.
The Other Side Of The Coin
FaceTime is one of the major advantages of the Apple ecosystem. This is the reason to buy iPhones and iPads.
In 2010, at the company’s Developers Conference, Steve Jobs told that they were going to make FaceTime an open industry standard. This would have opened new prospects for third-party developers who could build FaceTime for Android and Windows. But that is all that it is… At the moment, there is no Facetime on other operating systems, and there’s not likely to be anytime soon.
The only option FaceTime addicts have is to use a third-party iOS emulator to access the app features. However, there is the other side of the coin. This method has serious drawbacks that in some cases can be incompatible with the benefits it brings.
First of all, ipadian and other emulators are considered to be a scam. Such applications have a bad reputation as far as they align with serious security problems. It is reported that the software creates security loopholes that can be used by hackers to intercept data. Moreover, there are lots of complaints about ipadian relating to the fact that the service installs malware onto the computer. Some users also find its store poor and complain about the troubles with uninstalling the emulator.
Taking into account all those important issues, we consider this method extremely risky. So it is up to you to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze.
Alternatives to FaceTime for Windows and PCs
We strongly recommend considering other FaceTime alternatives if you are not an Apple user. For example,
- Google HangOuts (Google Meet)
Above facetime alternatives work perfectly on iOS, Windows Phone, Android, macOS, and Windows. They also allow you to call anyone, anywhere for free. In most cases, it is more reasonable to find a good alternative that will be working for you rather than applying equivocal methods.